Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Yogyakarta (Week 29)


Howdy Ya'll!!

I have successfully taught one of the Indonesian sisters here how to use "ya'll" and Sister Olsen taught her "ham it up". It is so great! There's also a "rule" (not really) that the Indonesian sisters in the house have to speak in English and the bule sisters have to speak in Indonesian. It's so funny! But really great and we are all learning. Javenese is a free for all, you can use that whenever.
 
Well here's how my week went!
Senin: We made food and ate a ton. We ended up getting permission to watch The Lion King. I never realized how funny that movie was! Then we went to family night with Bro. Nanang from the bishopric and his family.

Selasa: it was a pretty normal day of visits and proselyting. Sister Toegono really works hard and I'm loving our companionship. We also met with a previous investigator from 2006 and we were able to answer all of his questions. There's lots of potential with him and I hope that he progresses!

 
Rabu: We met with another previous investigator who wants to write a book about "Mormons" and what it is really like, not what the world thinks it is. We explained the Restoration and I could feel the spirit. I know he did too. He's also the younger sibling of one of the new converts in the ward! They are wonderful people and I love them both!
Kamis: A pretty normal day until an Indonesian showed me up in English class...again. I feel like I don't know my own language...But I learned something new which was good! And I think the class did too. Maybe he can teach instead :)
 
Jumat: We had a good District Meeting with the Zone leaders. There was a family night with the whole ward for the...70 day remembrance of Bro. Margono (the brother that past away in December). The Lucherini's (a mission couple from Idaho) are in town! I love those two, they are so funny.
Sabtu: This was a good busy day. We had Omni, a member that just got her mission call, come to a couple of lessons with us. I hope I get a chance to work with her when she comes into the mission! There was another family home evening as a ward where I gave a short lesson. It was hard to hear but I think it went well.
Hari Minggu: For third hour of church I tried to translate for Sister Lucherini. They were discussing some of the things that the Lucherinis discussed in a meeting the night before about 72 hour kits and help from the church. Poor Sister Lucherini...I think she just about had a heart attack because I didn't translate very well and I think I might have mixed some things up. But In the end everything was ok! I'm gonna work on that...
 
You know I've really learned a lot about sacrifice and how important it is. When we sacrifice things for the Lord, He blesses us in return a hundred fold. I've also learned a lot about Christ-like love and may I just say I love this country. I love these people, I love this language and I am even a little bit ok with the occasional cockroach. I'm still trying hard to love the mosquitos...that's a tough one. I love that I met Sister Olsen before my mission because I feel like I have a friend here with me and also a friend when I get home (so I can keep up my Indonesian!!).  Missionary work is known to make one happy ;) I don't think I've ever been so happy before. The two best things I have done in my life so far are going through the temple and serving a mission. I know this is preparing me for the rest of my life and although I joke about serving in Jogja for 3 years I am excited to apply the things that I've learned. I love what President Donald sent me in his email last week. He said he sends us out on missions first and formost to shape ourselves and in the process He uses us to help others. Then when we become the perfect missionary we want to be, He sends us home to help out in our ward, with friends and current family, and then to raise up a family unto Him. President also told me I was a success the day I came into the MTC. I think every missionary needs to hear that!
Have a great week every one! I know this church is true. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love,
Sister Sperry :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment