Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Jakarta - Week 11


Halo Halo!

I know it's so cliche to say but time really is flying! I can't believe November already is coming to a close and soon it'll be Christmas. The weather hasn't changed here really at all. ;) But life is still good! There are even some Christmas decorations up at the mall near where we live. 


This week I had a neat experience with priesthood blessings. On Wednesday I got really sick. My throat hurt so much that I was afraid to swallow because of the pain. Talking was a trial and I was not feeling well at all. (I was also sick of being sick...). Sister Narko and I decided it would be best to go to the doctor and get a check up. I don't know why but the whole way there I was thinking that maybe I'd need my tonsils removed or something crazy like that. I was a little scared and for some reason emotional. Everyone at the hospital was really kind and very helpful. Sister Narko was really helpful too and I was grateful to have her at my side since at that time I really began to miss my mom. No matter how old you are, it's still a lot more comforting to go to the hospital with your mom. I kept trying to remind myself that I'm an adult and that everything was fine but that didn't help replace the need of some motherly love I was missing. 

The Doctor told me after a very quick exam and some questions that I had a throat infection. He prescribed me some pills, one of them being very pricey (I kept thinking for a price like that it better work!), and sent me home. As we were on the bus I was really, really scared because all of the medicine I would have to swallow were pills. I was not excited at all. I could barely swallow a sip of water let alone take these pills! I then was graciously reminded that I am surrounded by these amazing young men that are dressed in white shirts and ties and they have this really great power called the Priesthood. I asked Sister Narko to call them and ask if they would give me a blessing and of course they said yes. 

Sister Narko tried to get me to eat and take my medicine before the Elders came over but I refused to until after they came. I was hoping and even prayed that the blessing would take the pain away so I could eat. I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to take the hard part out of my trial away, and that doesn't usually work. I also asked that I would be able to recognize the miracle after the blessing. I didn't want to miss it and not be able to thank my Heavenly Father. 

The Elders came and gave me a great blessing and in it they didn't say "may your pain be gone" or "you are now healed" but they blessed me with the needed strength to get better and also that I would be able to heal quickly so I could return to the work. I was a little disappointed that the blessing didn't go exactly how I wanted but somewhere inside I knew it was for the best. 1st  miracle: Sister Narko actually had something liquidy that I could eat. It would be way easier to "eat" than the bread and jam I was about to attempt to eat. And a lot smarter too. She prepared it and another soothing drink for me. Then miracle 2: she showed me a way I could take my pills without having to swallow the whole thing. She dumped the powder from the capsule of the pill onto a spoon and used a little water to spoon feed it to me ;) Yeah it was disgusting but better than trying to swallow the whole thing. Miracle 3: I was able to heal very quickly! The next day I was eating and talking just like normal. I am so surprised how quickly I healed! And It's been such a blessing too. 

Heavenly Father does things in ways that we will learn. We go through experiences to learn certain concepts. I learned that He knows best through this experience. Even though I thought I showed enough faith to be healed and able to eat right after the blessing, to make the trial just go away, Heavenly Father showed me how to have faith through the trial, how to endure, and that He will provide the needed strength to continue. He is mindful of all of us! I know it is true. 

Well that's all for now! The work continues strong here in Indonesia. Sister Narko and I are seeing miracles through our investigators even the members here all the time. I'm so grateful to be serving now and in this country. Sampai nanti!!

Love,
Sister Sperry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment