Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Jakarta - Week 2

Hello!!

This week was kind of like a roller coaster with people cancelling and then some people being super incredible and just wow!! Here's how it went.

So on Monday we did end up going to Monas which is kinda like Indonesia's statue of liberty. We went up to the top and got to look over all of Jakarta and it's HUGE! Also all of us "bules" (white people, foreigners) were basically celebrities. People wanted to take their pictures with us haha. Elder Blazer talked to them and was able to give them a passalong card. I didn't understand a thing but it was great fun! After we went to a member family's house for dinner and FHE. They were really kind and super fun. 

 The Monas
 Our group in front of the Monas
A view from the top!
 
Tuesday..well I honestly don't remember what we did. I think it was kinda full of errands because Sister Peterson was getting ready to leave the next day. 

Wednesday we sent all the missionaries off! Some home and others, like Sister Olsen, to their first areas. I haven't heard from her yet but I'm sure she's doing fantastic! Her trainer is Sister Hunt who I actually got to spend a couple days with. She's incredible. 

Thursday was my first official day as Sister Narko's Rekon! She is AWESOME! She's super nice and a very good teacher. She has a very strong testimony and I am grateful for the opportunity to be with her. Most of Thursday was spent trying to contact. We also visited a less active family (a brother and sister) and the sister is blind so we read the Kitab Mormon to her. She was very kind and did a lot to try and talk to me. 

Friday we had DDM with our new district leader Elder Widodo. President gave us a really inspiring quote by Elder McConkie about our calling. It talks about how we are called to be a personal representative of Jesus Christ. We are to do and say the things that Christ would do and say. WOW that's a huge calling!! I think the theme for me this week was attempting to understand my purpose of being a missionary. "How great is my calling." Both in how amazing the opportunity is and the responsibility. It helps to put a lot of things in perspective and be mindful of what is truly important. 

Saturday we had 3 appointments. YAY! It was so nice that none of them cancelled. The first one, she is from Medan, and talks VERY fast. I didn't understand anything she said but I was able to follow Sister Narko pretty well. She had a hard time grasping the Book of Mormon. I'm still not sure exactly what happened but I think she left wanting to know more!

Our second was a girl from Australia. She is AMAZING! She is so sweet and so kind and the Spirit has really prepared her! We already have a baptismal date set for her!!! She just has to quit smoking first. She told us a lot about her life and how her brother is a recent convert but it's just amazing how the things that she's had happen in her life have prepared her to receive the Gospel. Wow! I'm very happy for her and I know the Gospel is going to bless her life immensely. She does too :) That's the great part!

Our third was to a family again I wasn't really sure what happened. The kids were loud and the father spoke a lot and the mother wasn't there often. I think it went well overall but You'll have to ask sister Narko about that. 

The language is coming! I'm still learning but I think I'm understanding more. I wasn't completely lost yesterday at church...just mostly lost ;) I did have the opportunity to teach in the English ward which was a nice opportunity. I taught the youth about missionary work. YAY! 

Well I know the Church is True and I know that Christ's Gospel has been restored on the earth. I'm so grateful for that and for the love that I've received. 

Love you all!! And thank you for all the love and support!

Love,
Sister Sperry :) 

 An angkot, our transportation in the city.
 Home
A view of the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment