Monday, September 16, 2013

Jakarta - Week 1


Halo semua bagi JAKARTA!!!!!
Well I've made it! It was a long and...well just long trip over here but we have made it and oh my goodness it's crazy! There are so many people, the traffic...well there are no words to explain the traffic, and it's wonderful! My first area is going to be Jakarta with my trainer Sister Narko. She's lived in Indonesia her whole life (Malang) and she's so cute and fun to be with. She's not officially my companion until Wed but Sister Olsen and I are staying with her and Sister Peterson until then.

In the air for all of Wednesday, September 11.
Jakarta traffic
So the first day my MTC district got here we were all super excited, and super jet lagged ;) The AP's took us out with them to run some errands because we wanted to see some of the city. It was kind of a bad idea though because we were all attempting to not fall asleep. Let me tell ya, I have slept SO well here! I am exhausted every single day...it's great :) Anyway we got to see around and everyone was calling out to us "Hey bule" or "Hey mister". We are not the majority here and people kind of stop and stare when they see any of us walk by. Also when we start a conversation with them, then they get super confused ;) I try to talk even though I don't understand...usually the other sister I'm with will help me.

There are a lot of motorcycles
The next day is when we met more of the zone. We got to introduce ourselves and then go out for KFC ;) Don't worry I've had lots of authentic Indonesian food and wow it is SO good! But I guess KFC to them is like Los Hermanos to me, so it was a treat. The food here is amazing. I love it! Sometimes it's iffy and the little guys you are eating still have eyes but you just don't think about it and enjoy it anyway! I also had my first appointment that night and she made me and Sister Peterson food and then we watched a short movie with her. She was very sweet and I'm excited to see her again.

Jakarta missionaries
Saturday Sister Peterson and Sister Narko had to go to a far away city to meet with someone so Sister Olsen and I went on splits with the other Jakarta Sisters, Sister Neis and Sister Hunt. I went with Sister Hunt and we attempted to visit  a less active member but she wasn't home. So we went out and got lost but played with the some kids, taught some others a song in English and handed out pass along cards to their parents who were interested. It was really fun! Sister Hunt helped to learn how to ask for directions and talk to people. We also were able to hand out 3 Kitab Mormons! One of them contacted me yesterday but I don't think he's very interested after all. Maybe one day he will be!

Yesterday I couldn't understand anything that was said in the Indonesian ward but it was still fun! I met a lot of really kind people and ate some more good food. Sister Narko and I also taught an Investigator name Liah and extended the baptismal invite. She said she will after she prays to know it's true. YAY! Then that night we went to a member's home for dinner and that was really kind of them. I also learned how to cook a little.

Today...I don't really know what's going on. I just kind of follow everyone else. We might be going to a national monument but I'm not entirely sure...I'll let you know next week.
Well have a safe and good week! Remember that God is aware of each of us. He is in the details of our lives and loves each and everyone of us. Turn to Him in trial and confusion and He will lead you. That's something that I learned when we got lost. We said a prayer and we eventually lead to give away many things and hopefully plant a seed in many people.

I love you all!!! Thank you thank you thank you for EVERYTHING!!!

Love,
Sister Sperry :)
In the middle of the street?!?
 
Sis Sperry and Sis Olsen happy to be in Jakarta!

No comments:

Post a Comment