Thursday, August 22, 2013

MTC - Week 3


Salamat Pagi semua!! 

I can't believe I've finally hit the half way point for the MTC. It's been nice but I am very excited to get out into the field. Although I am still very nervous about the language. The cool thing, though, is I have learned more Indonesian here in three weeks than I ever did Spanish in three years. Learning with the Spirit really helps! I now have memorized the first vision, some scripture, a baptismal invite, lots of words for the lessons, words for prayer and my testimony, and I'm understanding A LOT! I pray to understand the language a lot and thanks to The Spirit I am able to actually pick up on a lot. My favorite thing to do is to listen to para guru (teachers) and see if I can pick up on things that they are saying when they think that none of us can understand. I'm getting there! I'm also slowly but surely reading the Kitab Mormon (Book of Mormon) in Indonesian. That is actually really fun! I love this language! Now I just need to learn how to talk to people on the street...ask for food maybe...or say I'm allergic. 
This week has been kinda rough. I miss my music and my fan a lot ;) Haha but that's not why it's been rough. Lately I've been wondering if this really is where Heavenly Father wants me so yesterday I decided to fast and pray about it and I was actually able to ask for a priesthood blessing. Typically I don't really take advantage of the priesthood as much as I should, so I usually wouldn't have asked for one. But people kept talking about it so I decided OK, I'll ask for one. For some reason I was very nervous to ask for a blessing of comfort, mainly because I didn't want to talk to anyone about it,  but I got up the courage to ask my district leader, Elder Hobbs, and he and one of the Zone Leaders got the permission to give a blessing very quickly. Right before dinner Elder Hobbs, Elder Barlow, and Elder Headrick were able to give me a blessing. Elder Hobbs was the voice and he said that Heavenly Father is very proud of me and he also said that I should not be afraid to talk to people. Especially my companion because that's what she's there for. I've always had a hard time talking to people about how I feel and what's going on with me. I like keeping to myself, staying personal, and listening to others rather than talking. This experience is what I needed to know that it's OK to talk things out to people and I think that that's going to come in handy later. 
Also to just confirm everything I got a letter from Mom and in it she told me she knew this is where I need to be and that she feels at peace knowing that. I'm so grateful for her and I look up to her example always. 
Last thing! This week we began taught Joko, our inactive Muslim investigator (another teacher). He is very humble and very simple. He hasn't had much learning and obviously doesn't have a christian background so we have to go to the basic of basics with him. To do that Sister Olsen and I decided to look at Ammon and Aaron's example from the Book of Mormon. They taught kings without christian backgrounds and it has helped our study a lot. Next time we are going to try and give a simple overview of the Plan of Salvation. I hope everything goes well. He honestly seems like he wants somewhere to go, somewhere to belong. Well he belongs with us! Di Gereja Yesus Kristus Dari Orang-Orang Suci Zaman Akhir! 
One more thing. Sister Olsen and I are Sister Training Leaders which is kind of like the female Zone Leader...kinda. It's pretty neat and really kinda easy because there are now only four sisters in the zone! Sister Olsen and I and our roommates Sister Wynn and Sister Wenyi! 
Thank you everyone for your prayers, letters, and love. I REALLY appreciate them!! 
Saya mengasihi semua anda!
 Love,
Sister Sperry :) 

ps I SAW SISTER AIRMET TODAY!!!! We screamed and cried and then had to go to class. But YAY!!! 

 The gang
 Elder Wihongi- these two used to play superheroes together. Now they are superheroes!!
Sister Airmet- Friends since birth. Such beautiful girls, inside and out!
Studying maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment