Sunday, August 18, 2013

MTC-Week 2


Halo Semua! Apa Kabar?!

Two weeks in the MTC down and now I'm a third of the way done with my MTC experience! Wow!! Before you know it I'll be writing about humidity and fun stuff like that.

This week has been really great and I have grown A LOT! We learned a lot more about the culture and the more I learn about it the more I just want to go!! So here's how the week went.

Well first off (on p-day last week, after I emailed) WE FOUND OUR MAIL!! Ha that was the best to all the sudden have so many letters and so much love! :) Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who sent me anything because it was greatly appreciated. So here's the story to that. Our district used to be two and then they just put us into one district since there's not very many of us and because of that  we had two boxes. Well our district leader didn't know that so he's only been getting mail for like four people. Appearently someone was praying for patientce so thanks to them we all waited for mail.;) no I'm joking. I actually look at it as a huge blessing and I've learned to really appreciate and love the things that I have gotten! So once again THANK YOU!! And keep the letters coming because it is so great to hear from everyone.

So this past week we also got a new roommate from France and she is SO cool. She loves to play basketball so her, I, and some other sisters play every gym time (I'm getting better!). Ha yesterday I got put on her for some reason though. Ok so imagine this. Sister Weiney, 5ft 8. Sister Sperry 5ft 2....yeah that was a struggle on my part! But I was able to get a couple shots in! Woot! I really enjoy playing. 

Sundays at the MTC are the best!! We start out with personal study and then we got to relief society and jazz. Right before relief society we get to listen to Music and The Spoken Word. Oh it is so nice to hear MUSIC! I miss that a ton and I haven't signed up for a time to go play the piano. Too busy! But I love all the music I get to sing and hear on Sundays. Also Relief Society is more like a conference since there are so many of us. Last Sunday Sis. Wixom from the Primary first Presidency spoke. She was AMAZING! And she served in the DC South mission and mentioned Ashburn (holla!). Made me a little home sick for my family but I loved listening to her. She invited the spirit so well and talked a lot about sister missionary work. Makes me even more excited to be a sister missionary. OH and then afterward I got to meet some of the sisters who are going to the DC South mission!!! Mom, Dad keep an eye out for these girls because I told them you would take good care of them ;) I have a picture with them, I was so excited!! 

After all of that we got to go to a devotional and either listen to a speaker or watch a film. READ CHARACTER OF CHRIST BY ELDER BEDNAR!! Both Sundays that we've been Sis. Olsen and I have gone to character Of Christ and there is so much to learn!! It's an amazing talk about becoming like Christ and Elder Bednar just really sticks it to you. There are so many things that I need to better myself with and I know that developing attributes of Christ is what is going to help me to better myself and come closer to Him. That talk is just simply amazing. Do read it!

Oh so this week I got a letter from mom telling me about an experience she had about following the spirit. She could have potentially saved my little brother's life. Well thanks to her sharing that I was able to follow a prompting also. Maybe not quite as dramatic effects though. So while walking home from devotional I was prompted to talk to this Elder who seemed a bit sad and lonely. At first I kind of waved it off but I wouldn't be a good missionary if I didn't follow the spirit. So I did and turns out he's also going to the DC South mission! (Elder Black). I did a little freak out and told him to say hi to the Sperry's for me and then we just talked and talked about how beautiful it is out in DC. Before you knew it he was smiling and that was great! I didn't really realize that I made a difference until Sis. Olsen pointed it out. Thanks Sis. Olsen!

The devotional we attended on Tuesday was incredible! Elder Scott came and spoke to us on prayer and the whole time I just felt like the talk was written directly for me. At the end he said that he knew his wife, who passed away in 1995, was there with us and Wow! It was an incredible experience. Afterward as he was walking away he yelled "Be good!" and "Love you!" We all said love you back and really I did feel the warmth and the love that he has for us, God's children. I am so grateful for apostles and prophets and that God has not left us alone. I am so grateful for God's love and the way I was able to feel it that night.

Ok last experience! Sorry about the long email! So Sis. Olsen and I have been teaching a couple of investigators (our teachers) lately. One of our lessons....went terrible. We didn't feel the spirit and actually Sis. Olsen and I were kind of mad at each other because it didn't go the way we wanted. Luckily Heavenly Father blessed us not to bicker about it and during companionship inventory when we had cooled down and had time to think about things we were able to talk it out. Then the next day we taught again and oh my gosh it was COMPLETELY different. The Spirit was very much there. Especially after we recited the first vision (in Indonesian). Then we were trying to get Jon to pray for us but he wouldn't. I was kind of ready just to let it be but Sis. Olsen was very in tune with the spirit and kept pushing! After a good long while she was able to get him to do so. I offered to pray first and then we would have him pray next. The spirit was SO strong as he prayed, I ended up crying! It was amazing and I am very grateful for the bad experience so I can really appreciate the good one.

Well now it's time for the temple and the rest of our P-day activities! Love you all and thank you for everything!! 

With Love,
Sister Sperry :)
 Sister missionaries going to the DC South mission!
 Our MTC group
 One of my favorite scriptures!
 The girls!
 The District

No comments:

Post a Comment